Hi folks, it’s been a while since I found time to write a new post, now it’s a good time for me to look back at the second half of the year, show you my latest minigolf videos, and set my goals for 2023.
Tournament reviews and videos:
- UrbanCrazy Cardiff Open: I played and won my first playoff in Category 3 for a bronze medal.
- I made a new video with Ian at his home course in Taunton:
- Balaton Cup: I made a top 10 in singles (8th) and 3rd place in doubles with Karl Lakos. He was a great playing partner and played very well during this event. I’m planning to go back and play again next year.
- Sussex Wasps Open: I lost a playoff for an aces prize (I played that so badly) and I finished 2nd at the team competition with Simon Brown and James Shaw.
- British Championship: I barely made a top 20, the best thing about this one, I achieved my 50 average target on this hard, cruel course, and it means a big improvement compared to my previous tournaments here. I’ve got a reward for that, I moved up to 29th in the rankings and I achieved Cat2 status at the BMGA.
- One of the biggest achievements of the year was I was invited to play a final of a tournament, without any qualifier round. :D I had a top 10 finish with 1-hour practice, not too bad.
- Welsh Crazy Golf Championship: 6th place out of 15 players, not bad at all. But most importantly I finally won an aces prize (needed a playoff again) after many near misses.
- Coate Water Open: The next stop, I didn’t have to go far away, as I organized a tournament for the first time at my local course. It’s sadly neglected by the local council, a bit old, a bit broken… but still playable. I hosted the event for 20 players for free, and I took 3rd place overall. Thanks again to everyone who helped me to do this, or participated. Next year we’ll be back! :)
- British Open: Margate is always a big challenge. On Friday I was 3rd in the International Championship out of 4 players. On Saturday I played really well, at the end of the day I had a new personal best (31), and I was 6th overall. Sunday wasn’t so great, but it wasn’t too bad either, so I managed to get a 13th finish overall, and the 3rd place in Category 2 (yes this year it looks like I always end up at 3rd places)
Saltash aces video with Ian:
Doubles and English Open:
- I played the doubles with Ian, and I think we played well… it’s just a bit unlucky we missed out on the medals with our 4th place finish. The next day I had my first DNF at the English Open, I felt it was too rainy to play after the first round to continue.
- Star City: Really sad, but I was sick for the whole weekend, so I had to cancel the last event of the year. The good news, even with these last 2 events, I managed to stay in Category 2.
I had my ups and downs, but it was a really successful half-year. When I started to play this sport, it was hard to imagine I can play for medals, but finally, I started to collect them, and I am proud of that achievement.
- I want to get a top 10 finish somewhere at a singles strokeplay event: I made this a few times, but not at a ranking event.
- Have a top 3 finish in Category 3 or get an aces prize at one of the events. It will be hard as we’ll have plenty of talented new players this year, but it’s a good challenge.: I’ve managed to do both.
- Hit a new personal best score on an 18-hole course. At the moment it’s 33. On a 12-hole course, I already made a new personal best this year from 24 to 22: My new PB is 28 (Taunton) and on 12 holes I managed to make it lower, down to 21.
- Achieve Category 2 status at the BMGA.: Done
I’m really happy I could achieve all the goals I’ve set for myself. It’s time to have some new goals.
Goals for 2023:
- I want to get a top 10 finish at any BMGA ranking event.
- Have a top3 overall finish at any event.
- Hit a new personal best (28 and 21 to beat) or at least beat 3 of my PBs at different courses.
- Keep Category2 status and aim for top20 in the rankings.
- Record all the aces at Dunton Hills in under 2 days.
- Organise Coate Water Open for the 2nd time. Make it bigger, and more professional, but keep it free.
- Get a new putter.
That’s all from me, I wish my readers a happy and successful 2023! See you at the courses! :)